Write Thinking

Perspectives from a writer & life coach indulging her desire to intersect those two passions

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hoboken, New Jersey, United States

I am a practicing life coach who is currently writing a life coaching column called Game Plan for Foxbusiness.com: http://nancola.com/pages/press.html. I am also working on a book about the power and magic of life coaching.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Weight matters

So the other day a friend, who happens to be a personal trainer, says, "You've lost more weight." Well, I smiled the big smile that comes naturally with that comment, but it was a rather bloat-y day, truth be told, and I thought he was wrong. He cracked up because I think he read my reaction correctly.

Well today, a not so bloat-y day, I decided to get on the scale at the gym. This is something I do only a few times a year when the mood hits. As it turns out, I've lost four pounds since October. That brings me to 27 pounds since June of 2003. By most standards, this is a snail's pace. By my standards, it's a fabulously healthy, natural and perfect pace.

I find it ironic that this fun little milestone comes the day after I shared a huge cheese danish with a friend. I mean, that thing was coated in icing and the cheese was liquid-y soft. Yum. This is the key for me. Once I stopped dieting, which only made me think about food more, it became easier. Once I started thinking about why I was putting a sugar-y or starch-y concoction in my mouth and stopped using it as reward, comfort, salve, I started seeing weight just naturally come off.

Don't get me wrong. It's been a long and steady process, for sure. I read labels carefully and don't buy many processed foods. I happen to love salads and devour them regularly, at least once a day. Most of my carb consumption is whole grain or whole wheat, including pasta. I occasionally indulge in dessert and don't think twice about it when I do. I exercise at least three days a week and have a walking lifestyle.

What I found is this is not a big mystery. The answer is simple; the problem is its execution is not. It requires thought and baby steps and patience and persistence. Striving to live a healthier life works for me.

So after leaving the gym this morning, I went to a cafe to do some writing and enjoy a nice cup of coffee (with cream). As I left, I ran into the personal trainer friend and told him he's a visionary. He smiled his big smile and went off to train his next client.

Wonderful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Faria said...

Go to Re Juice a Nation or Hoboken Farmboy and drink wheat grass juice. Once a day every day. Your appetite will drop, naturally. Your weight will follow. You won't be hungry, so you won't eat as much junk (or as much whatever you eat, if it's not junk).

Mister Snitch has spoken.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home