Write Thinking

Perspectives from a writer & life coach indulging her desire to intersect those two passions

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hoboken, New Jersey, United States

I am a practicing life coach who is currently writing a life coaching column called Game Plan for Foxbusiness.com: http://nancola.com/pages/press.html. I am also working on a book about the power and magic of life coaching.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Bla-bla-bla

My latest fascination is this new form of telemarketing that seems to be all the rage. The messages on my voice mail always go something like this (insert chummy, upbeat tone here):

"Hey guys, sorry I didn't catch you in. I'm going to leave a message if that's OK. You've been selected to win a free trip to bla-bla-bla. Just call bla-bla-bla and ask for Kevin."

Hey guys??? Kevin, I need to know if anyone, anywhere ever calls you back. Does anyone, anywhere fall for this routine? Believe you're they're good buddy? Think the trip is really free? Any of the above?

I know telemarketers are just trying to make a living. But this approach just seems so contrived and sad. An interesting study in human nature.

1 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

Almost ashamed to admit it but someone dear to my heart once fell for this trick and did ring Kevin, or Cindy, back. He ended up having a 30 minute conversation, with girlfriend gesticulating wildly alongside him, before finally ending it in one helluva row because (of course), he'd been asked to give his bank account number. I imagine the person at the other end must have been nearly tearing her hair out by the time he put the phone down! He'll never do it again and she's probably gone for a career change...

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home